Systems and Applications Administrator
Reports To: Chief Technology Officer
Office Location: Madison, WI
FLSA Status: Exempt
Supervisory Responsibility: None
WiscNet is a membership organization that provides research and education networking services to 450+ public and private institutions of higher education, K-12 school districts, libraries, municipalities, and healthcare throughout Wisconsin. With a staff of 20, we connect people and strategies to solve common technology challenges, and to develop innovative solutions in support of our members’ educational, research, and community service missions. WiscNet plays on a national scale and provides services to research and educational institutions spanning multiple states in the Midwest. We do some cool stuff here and it matters to Wisconsin.
WiscNet is looking for a Systems and Applications Administrator to join our Strategic Technologies team as we advance research and education in Wisconsin. You will work in close collaboration with each of WiscNet’s internal teams to roll-out and maintain both member-facing and internal software applications needed to meet the organization’s needs and standards.
WiscNet utilizes a blend of cloud-based solutions, with additional applications running on Linux and a few Windows systems primarily based on in-house VMWare server platforms. You will be responsible for the administration of the majority of WiscNet’s software applications. Reporting to and working with the Chief Technology Officer, you will play a key role in determining the future of WiscNet’s internal and member-facing services. Ideal candidates for this position possess a thirst for learning new technologies and sharing that knowledge with others.
Primary Functions and Responsibilities
Administration tasks include, but are not limited to, overall management and effective integration of servers and applications. You will help analyze business and operational requirements across existing and future software applications. In collaboration with WiscNet’s internal teams, responsibilities include:
- Identify and evaluate technical requirements for software applications based on business enterprise needs in collaboration with all WiscNet teams
- Research, recommend, and deploy software applications to meet the needs of the organization
- Ensure that WiscNet software applications integrate in an efficient manner by managing and monitoring software customization required to meet organizational needs
- Maintain the WiscNet authoritative source of Identity, currently MS Active Directory, wherever and whenever possible integrating authentication to that source.
- Configure software applications per enterprise requirements
- Maintain the integrity and availability of software applications
- Create, change, and delete user accounts on cloud and server based applications. Business systems require business managers oversight.
New Service Development Support
- In collaboration with the appropriate internal and external-facing teams, this individual will
- Install, test, and configures new applications during the proof of concept phase of new services development.
- Participate in transitioning new services into production by providing the necessary documentation needed for ongoing support of the application
- NetSuite ERP
- Microsoft Office 365
- Microsoft Active Directory
- Linux - CentOS
- Ability to administer and improve cloud-based applications
- Knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory
- Knowledge of Office 365 Administration
- Familiarity with VMWare
- Knowledge of Web applications and servers
- NetSuite SuiteFlow knowledge
- Outstanding teamwork skills
- Self motivated
- Ability to lead
- Solid understanding of how systems work together to meet organizational needs
- Able to convey technical concepts and issues to employees from various organizational levels and backgrounds